Sunday, September 27, 2015

encouragement.



word
wərd/
noun
1.
 a single distinct meaningful element of speech or writing, used with others (or sometimes alone) to form a sentence and typically shown with a space on either side when written or printed.

Words. They can send us soaring to the clouds or falling in despair. They can make us rejoice or make our hearts wrench with sadness. They can be the cause of joy and celebration, or the cause of sorrow and tears. These little black marks on white paper and the small tonal inflections we make carry so much meaning, and can so easily be the cause of our emotions! 

Over the past few weeks, I've really come to realize the effects of words- good and bad. I really like the definition of 'word' because it includes the word meaningful in it. Words are meaningful. They can carry good or bad. I think everyone would agree that when words are spoken to them, good and encouraging words are the words that are received most readily. When bad and discouraging words are spoken to us, however, I think everyone would again agree that they are hard to take in- and aren't desired or wanted.

Now I quickly want to take a moment to clarify something. I don't want it to come off that I'm saying we should all speak love and kindness to each other at all costs, meaning we lie to people in trying to be kind and avoid telling the truth... because now THAT'S a problem. We always have to be telling the truth, and sometimes the truth-bearing words we have to speak could be taken in offense. But, there is a way to tell people the truth, by doing it in kindness and love. Truth doesn't mean you tell people the truth by hitting them over the head with your words; you can tell people the truth by showing them grace and care.

A couple weeks ago, I was pretty upset by things some people had done and said to me, and was feeling discouraged in general. I noticed something, however, at school as I was walking up to where the lockers are. Bright, yellow sticky notes were stuck onto random lockers. As I looked closer, written on them were uplifting phrases, like "You are loved." I was so happy with how the school was encouraging each other, and how even just seeing evidence of others being encouraged, encouraged me! Now, there are more sticky notes up on the lockers in our school, not just written by one person, but multiple people! Blue and yellow notes bear phrases like "You are God's beloved," or "God chose You" are now on random lockers, and they are encouraging and uplifting people! These words are not only encouraging, but also full of truth found in God's word!

I'd like to challenge you, dear readers, and myself to something this week. We should look around and see how we can encourage someone or some people this week. Maybe it's through a note or maybe it's by making someone cookies who's having a rough day. Perhaps it's by encouraging people with words and paying people genuine complements or by leaving an encouraging sticky note on their locker.  Encouragement can take many forms. Believe me, something small like that can encourage someone so much. Let us use our words and actions to uplift people, as Christ wants us to!




Joyfully His,
             Hannah


2 comments: